Basundi/Rabdi (Milk dessert). Basundi is a very tasty Indian dessert recipe prepared with milk, Usually in Maharashtra it is served with soft puri in marriage or other functions. Rabdi is reduced milk with sugar and flavours. It is therefore very rich, creamy, sweet and can be processed to have different textures as the chef decides.
Basundi is a delicious dessert made by reducing milk and sugar to a thick consistency. This is chilled, garnished with nuts and served. Traditionally basundi is made by simmering full fat milk for a long time until the milk reduces to almost half the original quantity. milk based desserts are a very popular recipe in india. but the milk basundi is hugely popular in gujarat, maharashtra and karnataka where it is served chilled with mixed nuts. moreover, it is also confused with the other popular milk-based dessert i.e rabdi or rabri recipe. but there is a slight. You can have Basundi/Rabdi (Milk dessert) using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Basundi/Rabdi (Milk dessert)
- You need 1 litre of milk.
- Prepare 300 grams of sweetened condensed milk.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of cashews cut in to small pieces.
- You need 1/2 cup of almonds cut in to small pieces.
- It’s 1/2 cup of pistachios cut in to small pieces.
- It’s 4-5 of saffron strands, soaked in lukewarm milk for 10-15 minutes.
- It’s to taste of sugar.
Basudi is nothing but a reduced milk with lots of sugar and nuts in it. The flavour comes from nuts and condensed milk. Dessert Recipe – Gujarati Recipe – Rabri. Basundi Indian dessert recipe is easy to prepare but needs some patience to make.
Basundi/Rabdi (Milk dessert) step by step
- Add milk in a thick bottom pan, heat up and allow milk to boil in a low flame, stir the milk in between 3-4 minutes once.
- Then add sweetened condensed milk in to the milk and mix together, taste the milk if required more sweet either you can add 50 grams of condensed milk or sugar.
- Then milk starts to thicken, you will notice the milk solids in with creamy texture, keep on stirring the milk for 20-25 minutes.
- Then add cut cashews,almonds and pistachios (save some nuts for garnishing too) to the Basundi and let it boil for another 5 more minutes and simmer to a minute and turn off the flame and then add soaked saffron strands to it mix together.
- Basundi is ready to serve hot or chilled (as you like).
- If you like to serve chill then let the Basundi cools down completely, keep the Basundi in refrigerator for at least 30-45 minutes then serve chill.
It is a popular Indian milk dessert in Maharashtrian and Gujarati recipes. I love milk based desserts and basundi tops the list. Though it takes some time to prepare, it is definitely. Basundi (Gujarati: બાસુંદી, Kannada: ಬಾಸುಂಡಿ, Marathi: बासुंदी, Tamil: பாசந்தி, Telugu: బాసుంది) is an Indian sweet mostly in Gujarat, Maharashtra , Telangana, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. It is a sweetened condensed milk made by boiling milk on low heat until the milk is reduced by half.