Pot Roast. Pot roast is a braised beef dish made by browning a roast-sized piece of beef before slow cooking the meat in a covered dish, sometimes with vegetables, in or over liquid. Pot roasts typically use the tougher cuts of beef—a chuck roast or shoulder roast—which have the most flavor. For pot roasts, and other slow cooked tough meats, fat is your friend!
This dish has long been the Sunday night dinner that. One of the best bang-for-buck meals of all time. Thanks to Turo for sponsoring this video! You can have Pot Roast using 15 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Pot Roast
- It’s 3-4 lb of boneless chuck roast, trimmed.
- Prepare 2 of large yellow onions; large dice.
- Prepare 3 stalks of celery; large dice.
- You need 3 of carrots; about 1/4" inch thick.
- Prepare 2 of large Idaho potatoes; peeled & large dice.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic; creamed.
- You need 4 C of beef stock.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 T of tomato paste.
- It’s 2 T of fresh rosemary; minced.
- Prepare 2 t of fresh thyme; minced.
- Prepare 1/4 C of worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare as needed of kosher salt & black pepper.
- Prepare as needed of vegetable oil.
- Prepare as needed of fresh parsley; minced.
To most people, "pot roast" means slow-cooked beef with carrots, potatoes, or other vegetables added partway through cooking. The term actually refers either to the cooking method or the dish. Pot Roast – fall apart beef, tender flavour infused vegetables and potatoes smothered in a rich gravy. It's mouthwateringly good, yet simple to make, especially if you use a slow cooker.
Pot Roast step by step
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Season roast with half the thyme and rosemary, salt, and pepper..
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe pot or dutch oven. Sear roast on all sides and remove to a plate..
- Add onions, carrots, and the remaining rosemary and thyme. Cook until onions begin to caramelize. Add garlic. Cook 30 seconds..
- Add tomato paste. Cook 1 minute..
- Add worcestershire sauce. Scrape up any brown bits remaining on the bottom of the pot. Cook until nearly dry..
- Return roast to pot. Add broth and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer. Cover..
- Transfer to oven. Cook for 3-4 hours or until roast is tender..
- Garnish with parsley..
- Variations; Cola, roasted garlic, bouqet garni, canola oil, bacon fat, crushed pepper flakes, red potatoes, fingerlings, sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabaga, parsnip, butternut squash, acorn squash, scallions, chives, leeks, red wine, beer, root beer, oregano, zucchini, green beans, bell peppers, jalapeños, paprika, shallots, pearl onion, asparagus, fennel, dried onion soup mix, chile puree, mushrooms.
Chuck roast is the key to this pot roast recipe. The meat has wonderful marbling that helps it get tender and melt-in-your-mouth delicious after cooking. A pot roast is a delicious, hearty, and relatively inexpensive meal that is a staple for many families. The slow-cooking method is part of what makes this dish so delicious. You can also add baby carrots and potatoes to make this dinner a one pot meal.