Pork belly tacos. The toppings for these pork belly tacos are a fusion of Mexican and Asian inspired flavors: cabbage, cilantro, jalapeño, green onion and a light drizzle of spicy-salty-tangy mayonnaise. Paleo pork belly tacos are so satisfying, you can't help but devour every last morsel! The showstopper of this pork belly taco recipe is the green onion sauce with pickled watermelon rind.
It's so versatile and here is one way to enjoy the best. Fill each tortilla with a slice or two of pork belly and top with pickled slaw. How to Enjoy These Pork Tacos. You can cook Pork belly tacos using 13 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pork belly tacos
- It’s 4 lb of pork belly.
- Prepare of Olive oil.
- It’s of Dry rub with low sugar.
- It’s of Corn tortillas.
- It’s of Flour tortillas.
- It’s of Additional topping options.
- Prepare of Shredded cabbage for crunch.
- Prepare of Fresh salsa.
- It’s of Mexican cojita cheese crumbles.
- You need of Diced onions.
- Prepare of Cilantro.
- You need of Limes.
- Prepare of Tomatoes.
These are coming to your face today in TACO FORM. Make no mistake – taco form is the original. Warm tortilla stuffed to the brim with all those. Castacán is the Yucatecan version of crispy pork belly.
Pork belly tacos instructions
- Remove pork belly from packaging and rinse with cold tap water. Pat dry and set on a cookie sheet..
- Slice top side of skin into 1.5 to 2 in squares just deep enough to get to the fat layer..
- Rub entire belly with olive oil..
- Cover entire belly with dry rub. (use a low sugar rub to avoid burning) I prefer a mixture of blacking seasoning and light dashes of Slap Yo Mamas..
- Cook @325 for 3.5 hours. Then last 20 minutes broil on low to get a crispy layer..
- Bake for 3.5 hours on a stainless steel rack inset in a cookie sheet. This ensures the belly is above the drippings and helps get the entire surface roasted evenly. The pork belly is done after the entire belly is a consistent color and will be soft if you probe it with a wooden skewer or fork. The meat should tear from the edge fairly easy. Last 20- 30minutes turn on your broiler on low to turn on the top side heating element. This will crispy the top even more but becareful not to let it burn..
- The risk of over cooking is lower since it is a high fat content cut..
- Once the belly is pulled from oven slice 1 inch slices the length of the belly if you are going to serve immediately or let cool on rack on counter and put away in fridge without slicing. Either way you choose the next step is the same. Once sliced in strips cut slices into chunks..
- Get a pan hot med to high heat preferably a cast iron pan and put chunks in. As the cold fat starts to soften break up with the spoon into shreds as big as you would like. If serving straight out the oven break up the chunks into shreds. You are going to quickly sear the shreds as crispy as you would prefer..
- Once meat is to your liking remove meat to serving dish. Fry your corn tortillas in the same pan the belly was cooked in for extra flavor. You can use a hot skillet to heat corn or flour tortillas..
These tacos, based on the ones I had at Wayan'e, a Mérida institution, are crisped up on a griddle, then topped with shredded cheese. Pork Belly Tacos with Pineapple Salsa. I love them so damn much that I would probably give up my first unborn child to eat these every day of my life. Remove the pork belly from the marinade and place on the grill. Chef, culinary instructor, cooking show host and James Beard Award-winning cookbook author Joanne Weir has a new collection of recipes out, Kitchen Gypsy, and you're going to want it.