You can cook Beef Pares using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Beef Pares
- You need 1/2 kg of beef cut into 1 cm cubes (brisket, flank, or short rib).
- You need 6 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 1 of medium onion, chopped.
- It’s 1 of thumb ginger, sliced thin.
- It’s 1 of star anise.
- It’s 1 tbsp of peppercorns.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 tsp of five spice powder or one more star anise.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of white vinegar.
- You need 1 tbsp of sugar.
- It’s 2 tbsp of shao xing wine (optional).
- Prepare to taste of Salt.
- You need 1 tbsp of corn starch or flour.
Beef Pares instructions
- In a cooking pot, cover the beef with water, and bring to a boil for five to ten minutes or until the meat is no longer red. Rinse the beef and the pot to remove all of the scum..
- Add enough water back into the pot to cover the meat, and mix in the garlic, onion, ginger, star anise, peppercorns, bay leaf, five-spice powder, soy sauce, vinegar, and shaoxing wine (if using). Bring to a boil under medium heat. Mix in sugar. Reduce heat to low, and simmer gently until the meat is tender, roughly two hours..
- When the onions have become transparent, taste the broth, and add in salt until the desired level of saltiness is achieved..
- When the meat is tender, dissolve the corn starch or flour in 2 tbsp. of water. Stir into the broth, bring to a boil, and then return to a simmer until the broth thickens slightly, about five minutes..
- To serve, take 1 cup of rice (garlic fried rice is usual, but plain steamed rice will do) and place several pieces of beef on top. Drizzle generously with broth, and garnish with toasted garlic and scallions. Usual condiments that go with this are soy sauce with calamansi (toyomansi), and chilli garlic paste..