Shepherd's Pie. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served..with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw. Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to.
The Best Classic Shepherd's Pie Recipe with meat and vegetable gravy and cheesy mashed potatoes. Shepherd's pie is a classic comfort food recipe that's healthy, hearty and filling. The bottom layer is a simple a mix of ground lamb and vegetables, simmered into a delicious savory sauce. You can cook Shepherd's Pie using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- It’s 5 lbs of Potatoes.
- Prepare 1 stick of Butter.
- Prepare 1 cup of milk.
- Prepare 2 lbs of Ground Chuck 80/20.
- You need 1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive oil.
- You need of Garlic salt.
- Prepare of Granulated garlic.
- It’s of Ground black pepper.
- You need 1/4 cup of Rosemary leaves.
- Prepare 1 lb of pkg frozen peas.
This family friendly shepherd's pie uses ground beef (instead of the traditional lamb), and your Instant Pot® or multi-cooker pressure cooker to prepare the filling and potatoes. This easy Shepherd's Pie recipe is filled with lots of veggies and tender ground beef (or lamb), simmered together in the most delicious sauce, and topped with the creamiest mashed potatoes. Try the classic shepherd's pie recipe or mix it up with a veggie shepherd's pie with lentils, or add parsnips to your mash like Nigel Slater. Add some grated hidden veggies to help the kids eat healthily.
Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Peel and cut potatoes and boil in large pot of salted water. Boil until potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes)..
- Drain potatoes. Add butter, milk, salt, and pepper to taste. Mash potatoes until creamy. Add more or less milk to get consistency desired. Set potatoes aside..
- While potatoes are cooking place ground meat in hot skillet on stove. Add olive oil for both flavor and cooking benefit. Salt and pepper to taste. Add garlic salt and granulated garlic to taste. As meat turns brown add rosemary leaves. Let this simmer for a few minutes as you cook peas..
- Place peas in microwaveable dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes in microwave..
- Assembly. Place mashed potatoes on large platter. With spoon scoop out large hole in center. Place peas in this hole. Drain meat completely. Now add meat to top of peas..
- Take photo. Serve and enjoy..
You likely know Shepherd's pie as a homey, comforting casserole — one that combines a flavorful stew of ground beef, peas, carrots (and sometimes corn) with mountains of creamy mashed potatoes. This skillet shepherd's pie is loaded with flavorful beef and veggies then topped with fluffy and creamy mashed potatoes, then baked to perfection! Tender ground lamb (or beef) and chopped vegetables cooked in a rich gravy Learn How to make Shepherd's Pie and enjoy this easy and comforting recipe year-round. Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef. The sauce is really simple and flavorful, but the best part is the insanely fluffy mashed potato topping.