Shepherd's pie. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served..with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw. Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to.
The Best Classic Shepherd's Pie Recipe with meat and vegetable gravy and cheesy mashed potatoes. Shepherd's pie is a classic comfort food recipe that's healthy, hearty and filling. The bottom layer is a simple a mix of ground lamb and vegetables, simmered into a delicious savory sauce. You can have Shepherd's pie using 14 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Shepherd's pie
- It’s of For Mashed Potatoes (Leftover mashed potatoes can be used too):.
- You need 2 of large Potatoes.
- It’s 10 g of Butter.
- It’s 120 ml of Milk.
- You need of LAMB FILLING.
- Prepare 300 g of Ground lamb/mutton.
- It’s 1 of Onions.
- You need 6 of Mushrooms.
- You need 1 of Carrots.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of Flour.
- Prepare 240 ml of Broth.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of Thyme.
- You need 1 Tablespoon of Parsley.
- It’s to taste of Salt and pepper.
This family friendly shepherd's pie uses ground beef (instead of the traditional lamb), and your Instant Pot® or multi-cooker pressure cooker to prepare the filling and potatoes. This easy Shepherd's Pie recipe is filled with lots of veggies and tender ground beef (or lamb), simmered together in the most delicious sauce, and topped with the creamiest mashed potatoes. Try the classic shepherd's pie recipe or mix it up with a veggie shepherd's pie with lentils, or add parsnips to your mash like Nigel Slater. Add some grated hidden veggies to help the kids eat healthily.
Shepherd's pie instructions
- Cook potatoes in their skins until soft. Peel and mash up with the butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside..
- Preheat ove to 200°C..
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan and saute onions until soft. Add in mushrooms and continue to cook until their juices start coming out (about 5-10 minutes)..
- Add carrots and meat. Cook until the meat is browned..
- Sprinkle in the flour. Mix until the sauce thickens a little..
- Add broth, thyme and parsley and bring to a boil..
- Turn to low, and cook until most liquid is gone and the mixture is thick..
- Put lamb and vegetable filling in an oven dish and spread with mash potatoes on top..
- Bake 20-30 minutes until the pie is bubbling and potatoes are a little browned..
- Dish out and enjoy!.
You likely know Shepherd's pie as a homey, comforting casserole — one that combines a flavorful stew of ground beef, peas, carrots (and sometimes corn) with mountains of creamy mashed potatoes. This skillet shepherd's pie is loaded with flavorful beef and veggies then topped with fluffy and creamy mashed potatoes, then baked to perfection! Tender ground lamb (or beef) and chopped vegetables cooked in a rich gravy Learn How to make Shepherd's Pie and enjoy this easy and comforting recipe year-round. Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef. The sauce is really simple and flavorful, but the best part is the insanely fluffy mashed potato topping.