Beef and onion stew. The key to this recipe is the long cooking time, which brings together the tastes of the beef, onions, garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary. (I'm told that by adjusting the amount of water, this works well in a slow cooker or crock pot – see note below the recipe.) Beef, onion, carrots, potatoes and red wine come together in cozy harmony. Hope you and your family will enjoy this fast and easy recipe with only a few ingredients. All you need is beef tri-tip, onions, garlic, black pepper.
The basic Hungarian pörkölt consists of onions sauteed in fat, meat and paprika slow-simmered in a little water and the result is simple fabulous. Tomatoes and rich beef broth give this hearty beef stew a flavorful base. Toss in pearl onions, sweet potatoes, celery and carrots, and wait for the colors and aroma Also, buying stew meat in bulk can be inexpensive and is great to have on hand, so you can quickly prepare a stew. You can cook Beef and onion stew using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Beef and onion stew
- It’s 750 g of chuck blade, trimmed and cut into 2 in cubes.
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter.
- You need 4 of large onions, sliced.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of brandy.
- You need 2 cups of beef stock.
- You need 3 of waxy white potatoes, cut into 1 in cubes.
- You need 1/2 lb of button mushrooms, sliced about 1/4 in thick.
- It’s 10 sprigs of thyme, tied together with kitchen string.
- Prepare 1 of carrot, peeled and sliced about 1/4 in thick.
- You need 1 tbsp of cornstarch.
When it comes to stews there are those who like them full of many ingredients, and those who do not. And to me, when it's cold outside and the weather is calling for comfort food like a good beef stew, the simpler the better. Now that doesn't mean this stew is dull; to me, picking out just the right porter to. Cook sweet onions to caramelized perfection, then slow cook with beef and vegetables for a satisfying stew.
Beef and onion stew instructions
- Add a splash of veg oil to a large pot on high heat. Season the meat with salt and pepper and add it to the pot. Fry the beef until it's evenly browned..
- Add enough cold water to the pot to cover the meat. Put on the lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 2 hours until the beef is tender. Add additional water as needed during cooking to keep the beef submerged..
- Carefully transfer the meat and cooking liquid into a large bowl. Add the butter to the pot and put it back on the stove on high heat. Add the onions and fry them until they're a deep, dark brown. Watch that they don't burn and scorch the bottom of the pot. Add the brandy to the pot and deglaze 2 minutes or so until most of the brandy has cooked off..
- Skim the oil from the top of the beef cooking liquid, then pour the liquid into the pot of caramelized onions. Add the stock, potatoes, mushrooms and thyme. Cover and turn the heat down to medium. Simmer 15 minutes or until the potatoes are about halfway cooked. Add the carrots. Simmer another 15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and the carrots are tender but not mushy..
- Fish the thyme from the pot. Make a slurry with the cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Whisk it into the stew. Let simmer 5 minutes uncovered then serve with a big loaf of bread..
Substitute mushroom beef gravy mix or brown beef gravy mix for the onion gravy mix, if desired. Serve this saucy beef stew over mashed potatoes with plenty of crusty bread for mopping up. Preferably, the leftover beef will be from a pot-au-few that has been tenderized by long poaching, but roast beef can work as well. It will just need more baking time. Make sure the beef is chilled for easy slicing.